Freefall Time/Distance/Speed Calculator
This page allows you to ...
Click on any of the links at the top of the page to reveal (or hide) more information about this calculator.
If you think that you can assist with this project in any way, then please visit the Support section and leave a message.
- Current vertical speed, technically known as Velocity.
- Initial vertical speed relative to the particular reference point, usually ground level or sea level.
- Rate of Acceleration, in freefall this will be equal to 'g' the acceleration due to Gravity, and is therefore the same as 'g' below.
This calculator assumes theoretical conditions, ie zero friction, and that the effect of gravity does not change. In reality, the force of gravity decreases slightly with height, particularly if approaching another stellar body, such as either the sun or the moon.
- Time before or after a specific starting point.
- Vertical displacement - distance / height above or below a reference point.
- Acceleration due to gravity, usually measured in metres per second (m/s).
v = u + at
y = 0.5 g t2
- Enter each known quantity into the relevant text-boxes.
- Hit the ENTER or RETURN key on your keyboard, or press the 'CalcResult' button below the input fields.
- A results area will appear at the bottom of the page, showing the missing values.
- Click the spanner icon next to any entry to Edit, Remove or annotate that item.
- Press the 'Clear Results' button if you wish to discard the current results list, otherwise further calculations will be added to the bottom of the current results list.
© Copyright Mike Brockington 2004 - 2010 All Rights Reserved